Technology continues to support us in our everyday lives. However, the older generation is often perceived as a group not wanting to or having the skills to engage online.
We believe that by working together, technology can improve public services for everyone. So we took the time to listen to the over 70s in our community. This is what they said - a Word from the Wise.
Executive Director for Local Government,
Our research shows that the over 70s appreciate and enjoy using online services. They are equipped, savvy and ready to engage. Public services are playing a vital role in delivering services in these exceptional circumstances and the findings give leaders reassurance that technology can further support this age group.
We ran focus groups and a UK-wide survey in 2020 and again in 2021 to capture the insight from the over 70s in our community.
In our study, we found 10 key findings from the over 70s on their use of technology and online public services.
Listen to our short interviews from over 70s in the UK who took part in our focus groups in Aberdeen, Bristol, Lisburn and Manchester.
Listen to our short interviews
We conducted a UK-wide survey with public sector leaders across government, healthcare and social housing.
Our study identified ten key findings with the main aim to help together further support the over 70s in our community.
Our study and focus groups highlighted four key areas to help the over 70s use more public services online.
By further supporting, public service leaders can take positive steps in improving the overall experience, while also delivering cost-efficient services with a rapidly growing age group.
We believe that by working together, technology can improve public services for everyone.
Read more of our insights below, and join in with the conversation using #AWordFromTheWise
A Word from the Wise study methodology:
- The A Word from the Wise citizen survey was conducted by independent market research specialist, Censuswide, on behalf of Civica. A total of 2,123 citizens over the age of 18 (including 1,001 aged 70 and over) from across the UK were surveyed in May 2020.
- A follow-on survey was also conducted in April 2021, with a further 1,015 citizens aged 70 and over surveyed across the UK
- The A Word from the Wise public sector leader survey was conducted by independent market research specialists, Censuswide, on behalf of Civica. A total of 120 public sector leaders (weighted for even spread of organisational type) across the UK were surveyed in May 2020
- The A Word from the Wise focus groups were held with UK citizens aged over 70 in Aberdeen, Bristol, Lisburn and Manchester during December 2019
- The citizen interview videos shared have been approved by the citizens who took part in our focus group