22nd June 2022
Job Title: User Researcher (Junior and Mid-level roles)
Location: Home Based + occasional travel to UK customer sites
Job Reference: 2031
Do you love getting to the heart of user needs, to make critical services work for everyone?
Do you want to be part of a rapidly expanding, passionate community of User Researchers?
User Research has never been more important to our customers, so we’re growing!
We are looking for a User Researcher to join our diverse, multidisciplinary team, to help us research, design and test user-centred services for high profile customer programmes, including engagements with local and central government as well as private sector organisations.
As a User Researcher with Civica, you could be working on a wide variety of project phases and domains. Whether it’s a rapid Discovery phase for a new education product, usability testing a critical regulatory service, or providing wide-reaching insights to inform a full-scale business transformation, you’ll be working at pace to deliver research and recommendations that make a difference to digital services.
You’ll bring experiences and skills from previous user research projects, to deliver the best outcomes for our customers, and passion and ideas to help us build our playbook for consistent, awesome research across our projects. With our support, you will have the opportunity to gain recognised certifications in User Research and Service Design and develop your practice and leadership skills as part of our wide-reaching UR community.
We are currently recruiting for both Junior and Mid-level User Researchers, these roles are home based, but will potentially require travel to customer sites, and regular User Research community collaboration sessions. There is also the flexibility to work within one of hubs in London (Southbank), Bristol (Spectrum Building) or Manchester (Altrincham) as we understand being at home can sometimes get boring.
Reporting into the Lead User Research, the Junior and Mid-level User Researcher’s responsibilities include:
- Planning and executing user research activities, using the most appropriate qualitative and quantitative techniques for the project phase.
- Analysing and synthesising research findings to generate compelling insights about service users for your teams and wider stakeholders.
- Testing service designs with users across the lifecycle, from paper prototypes to interactive digital services.
- Communicating research effectively through written and presented outputs, to enable evidenced-based decisions to be made, to deliver successful services
- Fostering a passion and empathy for users and their needs with your team, by actively seeking collaboration and co-participation in research with teammates and users.
- Championing inclusion, equity and accessibility in research, and challenging potential biases in planning, execution and analysis of research activities.
- Working with User Researchers across Civica to form and share research best practice.
- 1+ years commercial experience in user research; this might have been as a dedicated user research, or in another IT role (don’t worry, this may be just the right opportunity to specialise if you have a passion for users!).
- Applied knowledge of user-centred design and service design principles and processes.
- Experience of using different user research methods (qualitative and quantitative) to gather insights on users and their behaviours.
- Ability to link research aims to the bigger picture; a project’s goals or a customer’s strategic objectives.
- Understanding of user personas, journey maps and service blueprints.
- Ability to explain your findings compellingly, develop effective relationships, and manage challenging stakeholders.
- Self-starter, proactive approach, drive and energy.
- Creative and innovative in the way you work.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Eligibility to obtain SC clearance (5 years UK residency)
Life at Civica
Help us continue to build on 22 years of unbroken growth and maintain our position as a Top 2, UK software company.
Civica is one of the UK’s largest software companies, with over 30 years of proven expertise in delivering improved outcomes for public services around the world.
- Blended working: less commuting, more time with your friends and family.
- ‘Investors in People’ – Gold: We prioritise the development of our colleagues to match their ambition.
- Financial Times - Diversity Leader 2021: We’re committed to maintaining an inclusive and supportive culture.
- Top rated employer – Glassdoor: Our average length of service is 9 years.
- Societal Impact: Our solutions impact positive societal change, supporting local Authorities, Schools, Police forces, the NHS and numerous Central Government offices.
Civica is a Diversity Leader, ranked as one of the top European companies for workplace diversity and equality - Financial Times 2021.
Civica is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people excel. We believe that diversity stimulates innovation, enables us to deliver better outcomes for people and communities, supports the growth of our people, and delivers great results for our customers. Civica recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, regardless of gender, race, disability, religion/belief, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.