4th December 2018
CostMaster enables cost savings at the East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust
Working with Civica, East Kent Hospitals are monitoring their costs whilst improving services and operational efficiencies.
East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust (EKHUFT) needed to get more from their costing data to inform the board and ensure their clinicians have a better understanding of how their decisions impact the Trust’s finances.
Engaging with all the specialty lead clinicians and extracting data from Civica’s CostMaster solution, the costing team now produce 7 high profile service reviews, as well as all of the services receiving an in depth costing performance pack. These packs are service specific and cover PLICS, SLR, Ref Costs, Model Hospital and external benchmarking data. These have proven to be a powerful tool, stimulating the debate and influencing change within the organisation to make significant Cost Improvement Programmes (CIPs) while improving services for patients.
The Trust acknowledges that “if you don't know the costs of your business, how do you know your business". So were delighted to be just one of a few who received substantial assurance during the EY costing assurance programme on the accuracy of their costing information.
- The Board and finance & investment committee see PLICS/SLR as a key tool to give greater insight to make informed decisions
- Forging strong partnerships with like-minded costing teams such as East Sussex and working internally with departments to ensure reporting is fit for purpose
- Improved costing at a granular level including cost per tests and cost per theatre session is helping to change internal culture
- The costing team now has greater engagement from board level, clinicans to operational staff
- Comprehensive reporting packs are a powerful tool in stimulating debate and influencing change.
CostMaster has helped inform key stakeholders of the value of costing and encouraged better, more efficient working and improved costs.”
Philip Cave, Director of Finance and Performance, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust