5th September 2022
Software Development Team Lead
Location: Home Based UK with some travel
Job Reference: 2157
Skills: Hands-on software engineering project delivery and leadership, Agile / Waterfall and Hybrid Development Methodologies, Scope control and change management, Technical background in web development (Java or Microsoft .NET) and still ‘hands on’
Business Unit: Central Government - https://www.civica.com/en-gb/about-us/what-we-do/central-government/
Benefits: 25 days annual leave, private medical, life assurance, flexible benefits scheme that includes the likes of; Buy/Sell holiday, Cycle to work, Opticians vouchers and more.
Chance to work in the leadership team for our rapidly growing central government professional services team.
Life at Civica
Civica is the UK’s leading public sector software provider, with more than 22 years of sustained growth.
We’re developing and delivering the technologies that are transforming our vital public services, across Local Government, Central Government, Healthcare and beyond.
- Blended working: less commuting, more time with your friends and family.
- ‘Investors in People’ – Gold: We prioritise the development of our colleagues to match their ambition.
- Financial Times - Diversity Leader 2022: We’re committed to maintaining an inclusive and supportive culture.
- Top rated employer – Glassdoor: Our average length of service is 9 years.
- Societal Impact: Our solutions impact positive societal change, supporting local Authorities, Schools, Police forces, the NHS and numerous Central Government offices.
Reporting to the Professional Services Head of Software Engineering, the Software Development Lead will be responsible for part of the Central Government Professional Services software engineering team.
The overall engineering team is 70+ UK based software developers who are engaged on delivering projects across Civica’s customer base (largely in the UK public sector).
This role is responsible for line management of a pool of 10-20 software developers within that larger team, as well as shared leadership on resourcing decisions, skills planning, solution estimation and software engineering best practice across the group as a whole.
At a high level the responsibilities will include:
- Delivery and assurance of software development activities on billable projects (up to 60% of the role).
- Line and performance management, ensuring that the whole team is managed to the highest standards.
- Assisting in ensuring software development delivery capabilities match demand.
- Shared ownership of software development standards, metrics and best practice that drive high quality deliverables.
- Contributing software development expertise during pre and post sales engagements, including estimation and meeting customer stakeholders.
- Driving improvement initiatives to improve and measure productivity and quality, focussed on improving Civica’s competitiveness.
The role requires good experience and knowledge of software development best practice and tooling, as well as a sound understanding of the end to end software development lifecycle. The ability to manage and enthuse a geographically dispersed team is also key to the success of the role. Technical skills in some of these areas will be necessary - .net, angular, PHP, data engineering (SQL, SSIS).
We welcome applications
Studies have shown that certain underrepresented groups of people are less likely to apply for a job that they don’t 100% match. At Civica, we’re committed to building and maintaining an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people excel.
So, if you like the sound of this opportunity but you don’t meet all of the requirements then please apply. You could be the perfect candidate for this or other opportunities within Civica.
Mental Health Champions are here for you!
We have a team of Mental Health Champions working hard to change the stigma around Mental Health. We routinely run awareness workshops to ensure our colleagues better understand how Mental Health can impact your day to day life. We are available for support when you need it most and actively encourage our people to reach out to us.
Civica has different affinity groups in place, where people can share experiences and put forward their ideas, suggestions and recommendations to make Civica an even more inclusive organisation for everyone. Our groups are for anyone who wants to support and ally with that community and include: Early careers, accessibility, parents and guardians, wellness, LGBTQIA+, race and ethnicity and many more.
Civica is a Diversity Leader, ranked as one of the top European companies for workplace diversity and equality - Financial Times 2022.
Civica is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people excel. We believe that diversity stimulates innovation, enables us to deliver better outcomes for people and communities, supports the growth of our people, and delivers great results for our customers. Civica recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, regardless of gender, race, disability, religion/belief, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.