16th June 2022
Job Title: Senior DevOps Engineer
Location: Home based
Job type: Full time, Permanent
Job Reference: 2026
Benefits: 25 days annual leave, private medical, life assurance, flexible benefits scheme that includes the likes of; Buy/Sell holiday, Cycle to work, Opticians vouchers and more.
Skills: Terraform, CI/CD Pipelines, Azure PaaS/IaaS hosting
Are you a DevOps Engineer looking for a role with one of the UK’s leading software companies? Do you enjoy working as part of a talented technical team on innovative DevOps solutions?
This is a great opportunity to work in a new Azure Team working with cutting edge Azure infrastructure delivering cloud operations spanning multiple business units helping define and implementing the technical strategy.
You will play a key role in influencing the DevOps culture nurturing and innovating new ways of working with a focus on automation and collaboration between development, operations, and security teams. Having a can-do attitude will be key to the success of this role moving away from the traditional infrastructure operational mindset
How will my career develop with Civica?
There is excellent room for growth within our DevOps teams, working up to team leads and DevOps Managers.
Will joined Civica and hasn’t looked back “If I could summarise Civica in three words they would be, challenging, rewarding and refreshing” - https://tinyurl.com/y5bv7c6a
Life at Civica
Civica is the UK’s leading public sector software provider, with more than 22 years of sustained growth.
We’re developing and delivering the technologies that are transforming our vital public services, across Local Government, Central Government, Healthcare and beyond.
- Blended working: less commuting, more time with your friends and family.
- ‘Investors in People’ – Gold: We prioritise the development of our colleagues to match their ambition.
- Financial Times - Diversity Leader 2022: We’re committed to maintaining an inclusive and supportive culture.
- Top rated employer – Glassdoor: Our average length of service is 9 years.
- Societal Impact: Our solutions impact positive societal change, supporting local Authorities, Schools, Police forces, the NHS and numerous Central Government offices.
You will have a good understanding of working in a DevOps environment, including the following:
- Experience of Microsoft Azure cloud technologies
- Experience of internet and cloud network infrastructure
- Experience of designing, building, and maintaining automation pipelines preferably with Azure DevOps. (Gitlab or Atlassian will also suffice)
- Experience of containerisation technologies
- Experience working in an agile or lean methodology having used Epics, Features and Stories to manage work preferably using Kanban
Experience of automation and scripting languages
- Azure CLI
Experience in DevOps tooling
- Hashicorp products having used Terraform at least
- Configuration automation (Ansible preferred)
- Analytics (Grafana or Splunk preferred)
Experience of implementing and maintaining a public key Infrastructure, certificate management and renewal.
- Experience of version control systems such as git. Preferably using Git Flow.
- Experience in Microsoft IIS provisioning, configuration, and administration
- Experience of administering SQL Servers, Instances and Azure SQL technologies.
- Experience in configuring email SMTP servers, MX, SPF, DKIM and DMARC
- Experience in using and configuring CDN’s, WAF to front web services.
- Experience in creating, configuring and maintain networks, subnets firewalls and network security groups
- A good understanding of modern security principles and techniques (e.g. OWASP)
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Natural problem solving and innovation mindset
Your core responsibilities:
You will be responsible for the follow:
- Keeping up-to date with technical best practice
- Understand new and emerging technologies and best practices
- Research into alternative approaches
- Align the Azure Team to the above
Work within the Azure Team on strategic projects, assisting in the delivery of the technical roadmap
- As new technologies or projects emerge Items both large and small need to be logged
- Manage work items in an Agile working method
- Engage with the relevant teams to gather requirements
- Participate in refinement to create tangible work items
Designing and implementing build and release pipelines spanning development through to production for applications within the division.
- Ensure new products or platforms adhere to the latest CI/CD best practices
- Maintain all pipelines to adhere to the latest templates or standards, reducing technical dept
- Continuously monitor and improve deployments
- Liaise with the relevant teams to align and fulfill customer expectations
- Ensure reliability and performance of deployments by making them as automated as possible
- Minimize customer down time during deployments targeting 100% uptime
Writing automation to make the infrastructure self-managing and self-service
- Automate common or repeatable tasks and requests
- Implement a control gate approach to infrastructure builds and deployments empowering stakeholders self-serve
- Provide auditing of self-service automation
Supporting, maintaining, and providing Azure infrastructure for the division
- Deliver a consistent approach across all Azure PaaS and IaaS environments
- Define and implement a process for manual tasks that cannot be automated
- Creating and using automated tool sets
- Backups, resilience, DR planning and provisioning
- Routine infrastructure and application maintenance
- Patching monitoring for and patching zero-day vulnerabilities.
Ensure Infrastructure and cloud environments are secure
- Infrastructure secret management
- Maintaining cypher suites
- Ensuring appropriate security best practices are adhered to
- Adhere to the principle of least privilege
Cost management, optimisation and reporting
- Ensure that the infrastructure is of the appropriate scale and costs and as cost effective as possible.
- Manage infrastructure and software in a consistent manor that can be reported upon
- Provide regular usage and expenditure reports to stakeholders
Manage monitoring and reporting of the following:
- Alerts when in breach of any of the above
Knowledge sharing and mentoring of other team members
- Ensure that there are no single points of failure
- Ensure that anyone in the team can pick up operational tasks
Create and maintain both technical and process documentation
- Responsible for maintaining performance and scaling infrastructure where appropriate
Occasional out of hours working where required
- Participating in an on-call rota
- Out of hours maintenance both emergency and scheduled
- Identify day to day activities that can be improved by automation or process change to reduce operational overhead
- Where required support, maintain and provision legacy application on premises.
- Responding to tender questions and method statements where applicable.
- Provide 3rd line support for all business units.
Mental Health Champions are here for you!
We have a team of Mental Health Champions working hard to change the stigma around Mental Health. We routinely run awareness workshops to ensure our colleagues better understand how Mental Health can impact your day to day life. We are available for support when you need it most and actively encourage our people to reach out to us.
Civica is a Diversity Leader, ranked as one of the top European companies for workplace diversity and equality - Financial Times 2022.
Civica is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people excel. We believe that diversity stimulates innovation, enables us to deliver better outcomes for people and communities, supports the growth of our people, and delivers great results for our customers. Civica recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, regardless of gender, race, disability, religion/belief, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.