Delivering digital transformation for the Animal and Plant Health Agency
The Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) is part of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). It is responsible for managing, controlling and assessing the threat of animal and plant diseases – such as foot and mouth disease and ash dieback – to the UK.
Civica helped the APHA to build a digital version of its testing service that would help vets identify the right test and make it easy for them to submit completed test applications and get results more quickly. Civica delivered a new solution that streamlines the whole process and better meets the needs of its users.
- Close working relationship between APHA, DEFRA and Civica, helping the client to adopt Agile for the first time
- Streamlined sample logging and tracking with exception handling to ensure samples aren’t mislaid
- Automated, usable reporting for customers and APHA
- Intelligent test selector helps guide vets to the most relevant test for their clinical situation
- User-centred design and testing approach ensured the solution provides what vets actually need
I think it was quite challenging initially for us to adapt to a different way of working, being user-focused all the way through. The skills Civica brought were crucial to helping us understand what was required, at the level of detail that we needed, to make sure that what we built was going in the right direction. They always looked to find solutions to the challenges that we faced together and that has been most welcome. On that basis, I would not hesitate to work with Civica again.”
Kirsty Line, APHA Service Manager and Product Owner